Saturday, January 19, 2013

Tasty French Food in Miami

As a new student of the French language I always take any opportunity to dive into French culture, whether it's through books, movies, or- my personal favorite- FOOD. Since I'm one of the few college students that hasn't gone back to school yet (we don't start the second term until later in the month), I was left to pretty much my own devices as I searched for entertainment, or at least something new.

In a less-than-sunny afternoon in Miami, my mom and I decided to go out to lunch on Miracle Mile (a strip of boutiques and restaurants iconic to the city of Coral Gables). There, in an unassuming corner of the Mile, we found a tiny French café whose front is decorated with two simple tables with chairs facing the street in a style similar to that of the many Parisian cafés in France itself. Intrigued, we sat down, welcomed by the lovely French native woman who appears to own and manage the place.

I started off the meal with the soup of the day, a delicious carrot and cumin soup- an unexpected mix that worked so incredibly well. The flavors were so powerful I enjoyed every slurp. My mom ordered a typical French onion soup that came decked out with cheesy bread soaked inside the bowl. We were not disappointed. But it was when they brought a bowl full of shredded Parmesan cheese that my heart fluttered and, ever so suddenly, I loved the French more than I ever thought I could.


I regretted the moment my bowl was empty. How quickly my new love and I had to part! But alas, to my joy the despair was only short-lived, because the lovely French café continued to impress with our main course. Being the healthy beings we are, my mom and I opted out of the duck or meat plates and went with fresh salads instead. Although the dressing was a tad bit blander than I would have hoped for, the toppings- good god the toppings!- made up for it. Roasted walnuts, fresh tomatoes, cranberries, and the crispiest toasted bread topped with warm, fluffy goat cheese tingled my tastebuds almost as much as my beloved soup. I love food way too much for my own good. *Notice the cheese bowl is already more than half empty by now*


And of course, what better way to end a French meal than with a coffee and the most magical dessert pastries on the face of this planet (aka MACAROONS!!!)?

None.

Because there is no better way. That is the way. Accept it. Love it. 

The coffee was amazing, but was like a stunt double in importance compared with the leads, the fig, strawberry, and cookie flavored macaroons. The perfect size, three, four bites at most, and melt-in-your-mouth good. After re-visiting my obsession with these beautifully petite French goodies, I am seriously contemplating having a macaroon tower instead of a cake for that day in the far future that people will call my wedding. My husband will just have to deal with it, and if he can't handle it then I'll just stuff the things down his throat until he can't do anything but admit how delicious they are...or choke.

Basically, by the end of the meal, in the middle of Coral Gables, Miami I was internalizing the blood curdling scream of "VIVE LE FRANCE!" 


If you're nearby and want to experience the flavors and cozy Parisian feel of this place just find "Le Petite Café" in Miracle Mile, Coral Gables, Miami. You won't regret it.



Have any of you ever experienced such tasty delights, French or otherwise?

2 comments:

  1. You made me so hungry :( lol

    x Liyana
    LiyanasAdvice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry! lol I make myself hungry all the time with pictures of food. Many struggles. x

      Delete